Because war crimes are hi-larious!

President Obama last night at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner:

“Jonas brothers are here, they’re out there somewhere. Sasha annd Malia are huge fans, but boys, don’t get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I’m joking?”

Since taking office Obama has ordered the CIA to carry out more drone strikes in Pakistan than his predecessor did in his entire eight years in office, killing more than 500 people since 2009, roughly a third civilians. And, “under the legal theories adopted by our government in prosecuting Guantánamo detainees, these CIA officers as well as any higher-level government officials who have authorized or directed their attacks are committing war crimes,” notes Loyola Law School professor David Glazier.

In other words: funny!

Advertisements

About Charles Davis

A writer and producer with whose work has aired on television and radio and been published by outlets such as Al Jazeera, The Intercept, The Nation and The New Republic.
This entry was posted in Barack Obama, War Crimes. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Because war crimes are hi-larious!

1. geoff says:

I think it can be said definitely & finally that this POTUS has become completely absorbed by the "bubble" of executive power and privilege. He, Obama, is now irrelevant as a human being and is simply a bag full of special rights & immunities protected from the real world. I suspect his mother is rolling over & over in her grave.In simple terms he has become a classless fool.

2. Funny you should mention this. It's the part of the broadcast that cause me to turn the tv off. I must say. As someone who considers himself a connosieur of stand up comedy, that I thought the joke was very good and very well delivered, and that I laughed. I'm outing myself as one of the many who is held captive by the charms of our president. As soon as I laughed though, I felt a little sick and I was all done for the night. I really hate the man. You can laugh at me all you want, but I really wa one of the many hoping he would do something crazy and surprise some people and be good at being president at least in some ways. But that was a long time ago now. It's just so disappointing.

3. Jack Crow says:

Geoff,I suggest that people like Obama are absorbed by the "bubble" of power long before they seek office.It's why they seek the positions of authority, in the first.The office may isolate them further, but they were already lost causes, in the seeking of it.

4. Andromeda says:

What the fuck? Obama, you exceed your own standards of self-preoccupation!

5. Geoff, he's not a classless fool. He's an upper-class fool. He knows who he's serving.

6. AlanSmithee says:

I dunno…but I suspect our God-Emperor doesn't even bother to read all those pesky drone bomb orders that cross his desk. They probably don't even give him his coffee until he's signed the morning stack.

7. Gerardo says:

Appalling joke, whatever bit of soul he had before he went into office has long left, he has paid a very high price for the trappings of power, I would rather be broke, homeless and dying than have the deaths of innocents on my conscience.

8. Yep. Sure was a laugh riot. It is sad that campaign promises are not being kept. Just more of the same old crap. This is not any kind of "CHANGE."

9. Alvin Hofer says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

10. Anonymous says:

If you think Obama's bad, try the Republicans. He is by far the lesser evil.

11. If you think Obama's bad, try the Republicans. He is by far the lesser evil.Sure, keep telling yourself that. And keep countering every criticism of Obama with "but Sarah Palin OMG!!1!" I'm sure it makes all the difference to the hundreds of innocent Afghan, Pakistani and Yemen civilians your lesser evil has killed since taking office. At least if McCain started a blatantly illegal war like Obama has in Libya liberals would pretend to give a shit.

12. Anonymous says:

Ron Paul is starting to look better and better…

13. Johnson says:

I think it can be said definitely & finally that this POTUS has become completely absorbed by the "bubble" of executive power and privilege. He, Obama, is now irrelevant as a human being and is simply a bag full of special rights & immunities protected from the real world. I suspect his mother is rolling over & over in her grave. In simple terms he has become a classless fool.